Lucas Giguere Three-Year Contract Approved by SC
Probably the most consequential thing to come from Tuesday evening’s long School Committee meeting was the approval of a three-year contract with Lucas Giguere to take over the role of superintendent when Dr. Sara Ahern departs. The matter passed unanimously without comment or debate and was followed with words of congratulation and clapping.
Earlier in the meeting, several long-time School Department employees were honored for lengthy tenure and dedicated service, including one individual who started back in the 1970s.
Several items were approved by the Committee including:
- A Wellness Policy as discussed
- Approval for CJ Neely to take the Boys Basketball team to Orlando, Florida from December 26-30, 2022
- Approval of the request of Dianne Plouffe to take students to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida from April 15-19, 2023 to perform
- Approval of the request of Emily Chaisson & Laura Keenan to take students to Malaga & Granada, Spain from April 14-22, 2023
Superintendent Sara Ahern also recommended that the Proposed MASC Resolution Regarding Sanctuary Laws for Trans Students be adopted
The ‘consent agenda’ approved by the Committee included
- Approval of minutes from the May 10, 2022 meeting
- Budget transfers
- Acceptance of gifts totaling $3,171.04 for FHS
- Acceptance of two checks totaling $905.00 from the Parmenter PCC for Field Trips
- Approval of the request of Brad Hendrixson for 66 2nd Grade students at Oak Street School to travel to Roger Williams Zoo in Providence, RI on May 31, 2022
There were no citizen comments. The Committee went into Executive Session ”to discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining with the FEA/RN unit.”